Prep 6 – 2nd Form Athletes compete at the East Area Prep Schools Athletics Championships and two pupils make it to the National Finals in July.
On Friday 9 June, 27 pupils who had achieved the qualifying standard competed in the East Area Athletics Championships at the International Stadium in Bedford. There were 51 Schools involved, and we took pupils from Prep 6, the 1st Form and 2nd Form.
The young athletes competed well, in what for some was their first major competition.
Several pupils were placed in the first six in field events, as well as others achieving personal bests on the track.
- Tia Bideau competed well in the Girls U14 Hurdles, coming second in her heat making it through to the final, where she finished 4th in 13.4 seconds.
- Abby Piccaver won her Girls U14 200m heat in a time of 29.7 seconds.
- Abby also came 5th in the 300 metres final with a new school record of 49.6 seconds.
- Joseph Bly came third in the U12 Discus with a throw of 14.96 metres
- The U14 Boys Relay team won their heat and made it through to the final.
The highlights for the team were Lewis Shipley and Lucy Prior qualifying for the National Finals at Birmingham on the 4 July.
Lucy came 2nd in the Triple Jump with a distance of 9.01metres.
Lewis won the final of the U14 100 metres in 11.8 seconds achieving a New East Area Record and breaking his own school record. He then backed this up by winning the 800 metres later in the day in a time of 2 minutes, 14 seconds.
We are immensely proud of what our pupils have proven themselves to be capable of! A fantastic result.
Sally Webb, Head of Athletics and Swimming