Save the Date:
Portal Links
Sports Round-up 16-10-17

Sports Round-up 16-10-17


Wisbech Grammar School U14s, U15s and 1st XV vs Woodbridge School
On: Thursday,12 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

On Thursday 12 October Wisbech Grammar's U14s, U15s and 1st XV travelled to Bury St Edmunds RFC to face Woodbridge School under lights.

The U14s kicked off first, and despite opening the scoring and holding the score to 12-12 just before the half-time whistle, they lost 38-12. The U15s side followed them, and in a thrilling encounter, they won 15-14, outscoring Woodbridge three tries to two.

The 1st XV then became the focus of the evening. After a high tempo and physical start to the game, Wisbech Grammar managed to soak up the majority of the Woodbridge pressure. As the 1st XV eased into the game, Jack Trundley opened the scoring with a neat grubber through which he picked up himself to score. After a Woodbridge reply, two quick tries from Bradley Hutler and another from Jack Trundley put WGS 21-7 up at half time.

In the second half the 1st XV looked to open up the game and press ahead with their advantage, Trundley completed his hat-trick to take the score to 28-7 before two Woodbridge scores brought them back into the game. A late surge led from the front by the captain Oliver Mann, then saw him score 10 more points, converting his own try and kicking a penalty. Trundley then rounded off the game with his 4th try, running in on the counter-attack from 50 meters out. The final score was 43-21 to Wisbech Grammar School.  






Captain Oliver Mann said after the game:

The team were phenomenal today, they played with ambition and enjoyment and deserved their victory. We are really looking forward to pressing on and improving as a group as the season continues.


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U12A vs  Beeston Hall
On: Wednesday, 11 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

The under 12's had another excellent performance away to Beeston. This game saw two new additions to the team who took the step up from the B's.

The game was very fair and well matched throughout with both teams creating chances. Wisbech saw some great early success using the ball down the full width of the pitch and once again managed to get their passing game going; combined with the excellent work rate once again, to produce some super looking hockey.

Our tackling was strong and well contested and improving still with each passing week. The girls using their jab tackles to disrupt the play and the blocks to win the ball more convincingly. All over the pitch, the girls are proving able to challenge their opponents which in turn applies pressure and on occasions produces counter attacking overloads.

Time passed quickly and the game remained goalless throughout, but on reflection, it was a much more interesting and exciting game than a 0-0 score line suggests!


Wisbech Grammar School 1st XI vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

What better way to celebrate Captain, Eden Cooper's 18th Birthday than a cracking 5-3 win against a strong Stamford High School for Girls side.

The girls got off to a fast start, scoring with a well hit shot by Isabella Oldershaw-Ellis at a short corner. Leading scorer, Hannah Lemmon added the second with a first time shot, which gave the goalkeeper no chance to react. Stamford replied, taking the score to 2-1 but Eden Cooper then scored 2 super goals from open play. Stamford replied once more to make the half time score 4-2 to WGS.

Stamford started the second half strongly, putting the WGS defence under great pressure. Isabella Oldershaw-Ellis and Annie Bennett were steadfast in defence and Ella Beckett made 4 excellent saves in goal. The defence was well supported by the midfield: Ellize-Jade Stephens-Foster, Lucy Lim, Katy Landles, Hetty Beckett and Matilda Suiter.

Despite our best efforts, Stamford scored to take the score to 4-3. With 5 minutes remaining the impressive Charlotte Brett won the ball on the left, starting a quick move involving 4 slick passes and ending with Catherine Missin striking the ball into the top left-hand corner of the goal to seal the match 5-3.

I would like to thank all the girls for their terrific performance in this thrilling and entertaining match. Thank you to Stamford High School for Girls for hosting the match which was played in fine spirits. Thank you also to the many supporters who I'm sure also enjoyed the game.

Player of the match was Eden Cooper.


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U13A vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: at Home

This was another difficult fixture and back to 7 a side for the U13A team.

Before the match, we decided to play our centre mid in a more defensive position so that our defensive line was strengthened. However, a strong Stamford side was able to move the ball quickly and strongly, showing accurate passing around the pitch and into our D. We did mark our opponents better for most of the game but several lapses in this lead to several goals being scored. In the first half, we did not move onto the ball like we did last week and Stamford was able to take any 50-50 balls. Both of our mid-fielders made some good wide runs but ran into trouble before they were able to get to the D.

The second half of the game was more promising and we worked harder to win the ball and move it by passing with strength down the line and into attacking positions. We had several shots on goal but sadly these were not converted. Defensively, we were able to put in strong tackles and having a player in the right place on the line ensured the ball was cleared.

The match proved to us that we need to look up and pass forward, with players running into space ahead of their opponents. At hit-outs and side lines, we need to decide what we are doing with the ball quickly and get it moving, with our own team giving at least two easy options. We will be trying hard to put these into action against Beeston Hall on Wednesday.


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U13B vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: at Home

The U13b today took on Stamford. The girls set out strong making great tackles, using the space well and showed some promising attacking play. Unfortunately, Stamford scored the first goal from a short corner. The girls kept their heads and kept putting pressure on Stamford's defence and drew 1-1 with a fantastic goal from Abi. Stamford made several attempts at scoring but our defence was strong. We went into the second half determined not to let Stamford break our defence, the girls worked hard clearing out, tackling was strong and we had some fantastic runs down the wing which in the final play of the game led to a great goal from Eloise snatching a win 2-1.
Great effort by all - well done. Stamford awarded Player of the Match to Erin. Well done Erin, you were consistent in the first half as a defender and made some fantastic saves in the second half as GK.


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U15A vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

After securing an excellent against Ratcliffe, the team travelled to Stamford in confident mood, albeit missing a few players due to illness. After a good warm-up, the team (supported by Lucy Pealling and Lucy Ludlow from the U14's) started at a high pace, testing the Stamford defence with some early incursions into their 'D'. After a series of penalty corners, WGS took the lead with a solid strike from Izzy Pope. Despite some stout defending from all the team, a couple of defensive lapses prior to half-time, gave Stamford the lead, before WGS, unfortunately, hit the post from a penalty stroke.

Into the second half, the game became very stretched as we pushed for the equaliser, leading to Stamford again scoring to take a 3-1 lead. Back came WGS with another quality strike from Izzy Pope at a penalty corner. Charlotte Mair, Ellie Padmore and Ellie Payne-English were creating of breaks through the Stamford defence but were unable to convert their chances. Stamford scored a goal in last minute of the game to secure the win, though WGS will feel aggrieved they did not secure the win themselves, after creating multiple chances throughout the game.

A tough loss to take, though credit to all the girls for their efforts, especially Lucy & Lucy for their support, they never stopped.

Mr Jarvis


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U12B vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

With a couple of the girls (Tamzin Naish & Isabella Ashby-King) playing their first ever competitive match, this was always going to be a tough fixture and so it proved, with Stamford demonstrating both physicality and strong passing. All of the players should take credit for their efforts though with the whole team playing their part in both defending and attacking plays.

Mr Jarvis


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U12A vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

The under 12's travelled on their first away fixture of the term.

Today's game was hard fought by both teams. Both had equal chances in what was a fast tempo game throughout. Wisbech creating chances by some strong tackling then using numbers to attack; where Stamford had theirs in one on one situations. Neither team managed to capitalise on their chances and the first half remained goalless.

The second half started where the first finished. As time developed the crowd got more and more behind the home side and pressure grew on Wisbech. 10 minutes into the second half and the pressure finally broke through and unfortunately, Stamford scored the only goal of the game.

As always the girls fought extremely hard and impressed with their passing game. They created chances and now moving forward we can train on making the most when those chances come our way.


Wisbech Grammar School Greyhounds vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

After a slow start and a few positional switches the girls started to play some good Hockey and despite going down 0-1 and conceding many short corners the girls continued to fight hard. Dina Aldrich produced some fantastic defensive play throughout the match and was awarded, player. Attacking play was equally well fought, particularly in the dying minutes when all players pushed up the pitch to force the goal. A positive week, girls, well done. Final score 0-1 to Stamford High School.


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U14A vs  Stamford High School for Girls
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

Wisbech U14s 4 - Stamford 2

After playing with such high tempo at the County tournament the first quarter started slowly with Wisbech failing to communicate and loosing too much possession - Stamford soon capitalised on this and took an early lead.

At quarter time the formation and positions were changed and motivated by being a goal down, things were starting to look more promising, Wisbech marked tighter, began to meet the ball and upped the tempo. Passes, however, were still a little too weak and although Abby made some quick breaks, the team were not attacking together and shots sailed past the far post.

As the quarter continued, Wisbech began to build momentum and their defence was denying Stamford any more goals, Emily T made some good saves and Izzy and Sophie worked together to clear the ball wide, with Hannah providing some crucial tackles on the right side.

Near the end of the second quarter, the team pushed forwards together with Eden and Megan winning possession and Eva pushing the midfield up. Emily W and Rhianna worked hard around and in the D and were awarded a short corner. Abby slipped it to Izzy who scored a great goal off the left post to equal the score at 1-1 just before the half-time whistle.

Not content with a draw the team started the third quarter pressing high and dominating the opposition's 25, the team were now working together and were more determined to increase the score line. Wisbech attempted to play it around the back, as we had been practising in training, but Stamford managed to intercept one of our passes and made a quick break, taking the lead once again by volleying the ball into the net from a cross.

After a third and final team talk and only twelve minutes to go, Wisbech needed to score at least two goals to win the game. Every single player put in 100% and the team began playing faced pace, exciting hockey. With Izzy moving from full back to a high forward, Hannah overlapping on the right-hand side, Emily and Imogen pushing high on the left and Tia, Lucy and Eva ensuring the ball was kept in our attacking half, we controlled most of the possession. Tia did a great run down the right wing and crossed the ball to Abby who found Rhianna in the D, after some skilful play Rhianna found the backboard and the score was level.

Abby continued to make leading runs and a few minutes after the previous goal, Abby slotted the ball across the mouth of the goal for Tia to make an impressive diving shot and Wisbech were in the lead.

Wisbech tried to hold a deeper press and with a more defensive formation, keep possession until the final whistle but adrenaline was high and the team were still wanting to extend the lead. After winning a second short corner, the final whistle went and the team lined up around the edge of the D but with a straight strike from Lucy P finding the corner, there was no need.

Wisbech finished the game winning 4-2.

A huge thank you to Lucy P and Lucy L for stepping up to play for the U15s and the supporters on the side line, encouraging the team to play some of their best hockey in the final quarter.

Well done to Abby for receiving player of the match which was very well deserved, although as always, a real team effort.

Great performance everyone, now to work on having the same energy in the first quarter as you did in the last one!!


Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U11A vs  Stamford High School for Girls Girls-U12C
On: Saturday, 07 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

The U11s were playing against Stamford's U12 C team, an even match in ability but an intimidating height difference for some of the year 5s and 6s.

The game started with Wisbech lacking confidence and Stamford soon had multiple players in our defensive D and were able to quickly move the ball in front of Olexandra and find the corner of the goal.

Shortly after the first goal, with Wisbech still a little hesitant, our defenders were caught a little too high and Stamford had another break, increased their lead by two goals.

After the half time talk the team were fired up and ready to play the hockey that they are capable of, it was a fantastic second half with every player working hard to attack and defend with confidence.

Dillany was meeting the ball and intercepted countless passes before they reached the D. Olexandra was fast on her feet and made some impressive saves, Gabriella moved the ball with speed and supported the attack down the left-hand side.

Lilian and Lydia tried to keep the width and height and made lots of impressive runs upfront.

Jemima and Emma worked tirelessly in the midfield, marking their players in defence and attacking with speed, making use of the space available. They had numerous shots on goal, won short corners and free hits and were very unlucky not to find the backboard.

Eventually, all of our attacking play led to a well-worked goal, crossed in from the left-hand side.

With Jemima being hit not once but twice, the team were temporarily down to six players and Stamford managed to score a third and final goal.

Despite the score, it was a fantastic performance by the U11s and they should all be very proud of the hockey they played against an older year group. They score did not reflect the amount of attacking play they created in the second half.

Well done everyone.



Wisbech Grammar School Girls-U14A vs  U14 County Tournament
On: Thursday, 05 Oct 2017
Venue: Away

Wisbech Grammar School’s U14 team will be representing Cambridgeshire in the Regional U14 Hockey Finals this November. In the first round of the National Schools Competition, held at Kimbolton yesterday, the team managed to win their group stage ahead of The Leys, Kimbolton and Saffron Walden County High School. With Stephen Perse and King’s Ely being knocked out after the group stages, Wisbech faced Newport in the semi-finals. After an exciting game with many goal scoring opportunities for both teams, the scores were tied and the decision as to which team would secure a place at the next round of the national competition came down to flicks. With Emily saving three and Rhianna and Abby scoring theirs, the team were through. Although losing to The Perse in the final, morale could not have been higher and after a fantastic day of hockey, an excited group of players are ready for the next round.




Share this story