Save the Date:
Portal Links
Our fantastic 1st XV continue their successful run

Our fantastic 1st XV continue their successful run

The 1st XV produced another magnificent display to beat Woodbridge School 61-0. The result means they are currently unbeaten in the second half of term and have also won eight out of ten so far this season.

The result had a number of other positives, aside from just the scoreline. Earlier in the season the 1st XV won 43-21 against the same opposition, showing just how far they have come over the term. Added to this, a second clean sheet in three games shows the development of the 1st XVs all-round game, with their defence being just as strong as their attack.


The game started slowly as the 1st XV were creating chances but lacking some accuracy, with three tries disallowed for forward passes. However, as the game went on the team were able to adapt, making some technical adjustments, and as the half-hour mark approached they got on the scoresheet through Bradley Hutler. A ten minute spell of magnificent rugby then saw them run in three more tries before half time; Frazer Brown was the beneficiary of an excellent counter-attacking move from Jack Trundley, Henry Mair got on the end of an excellent team move down the blind side and Oliver Mann then wrapped up the half as he scored from the kick-off to take the score to 26-0 at half time. 


The second half started with a bang as Frazer Brown added a second to his tally, beating five tackles to go under the posts ad score. As the 1st XV grew in confidence they began to play more of the free-flowing and high tempo rugby that the spectators have got used to over the season, with arguably one of the tries of the season scored up the right wing. Bradley Hutler started and finished the move, making the turnover before the ball went through a number of forwards hands in a tight space, before second row George Dady fed Hutler on a 2v1 to go in for his second. Hutler then completed his hatrick with a pick and go try before Oliver Mann scored two more of his own, both from turnover ball, taking his tally to 31 for the game following eight successful kicks. The final score was 61-0 to Wisbech Grammar School.


Head of Rugby Alex Laybourne said:

It was a terrific performance and I am delighted with how far we have come this season. Progress has been made individually, in units and as a team and I am excited to see how they will perform on Wednesday in their final game of the season.



Hutler (3), Mann (3), Brown (2), Mair (1)



Mann (8)

Share this story